Friday, August 26, 2011

See ya neva, NC

Well, Irene didn't hurry up and c'mon, so Alitalia cancelled our flight for Sunday night to Florence. So, we're rebooked for Tuesday, which leaves me in NY for a weekend with James and the Frankels to brace ourselves for what NBC has dubbed the "storm of the century" to hit the East Coast.  JFK is already closed. Subways too. And I thought the Italian way of life was an easy one?

For my parents, the goodbye tomorrow morning isn't any easier even with my delayed departure from the country. My Mom would love the extra days to review safety tips and tour suggestions.  We spent my last night in Lincolnton at the Wolves football game where our #2 ranked team fought a valiant effort in an early season game.  The realization that I wouldn't be coming home for any playoff games (or even listening online, since I would be tuning in at 3 AM my time for a Wolves win), made the evening bittersweet.  Nothing beats a night in the southern football town, a City Lunch hotdog, and a high school band playing the national anthem -- A night that makes me miss the US already. I'm such a sucker for a patriotic pastime. (This would be an appropriate time to pull in the America party quote, girls. I'll still fight for America until the day that I die. Even in Italy.)

As I looked around the new "reserved seat section" tonight, I realized how in my element I am when I'm at home: I was surrounded by some of the most important, influential, and supportive friends that are a part of my life.  I'm comfortable at home. I'm good at being home. And I'm getting ready to hop on a plane to cross the Mason-Dixon (then the Atlantic in a few). A new location, new people, new culture and new language -- way to really throw a girl out of her comfort zone.

See you at Christmas, Lincolnton.  Bring it on Irene.  I wait for you in the New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment