Thursday, August 25, 2011

Come on Irene

Hi Bloggees! Inspired by my cool friends that travelled to places like Shanghai and Cambridge this summer, I'm gearing up my blog (and my closet) for a semester in Florence, Italy.  I hope to keep family and friends that are both stateside and abroad up-to-date on my outings, tours, adventures, and life observations as I tour wine country and the whole of Europe.

As soon as I chose to study abroad in Florence this semester, I was barraged with both enthusiasm and questions. Why would an English major that wants to go to medical school pack her bags for a semester in Florence?  Davidson's liberal arts requirements offer a nice excuse: I have Fine Arts and Religion requirements to fulfill and where else better in the world to study art and religion than in the birthplace of the renaissance! More than that though, I may be a Southern girl through and through with my pearls and pastels, but my roots are in Tuscany where my Great-Grandma Mucey hopped onto the boat to cross the pond to the land of opportunity about 90 years ago. This semester will offer an opportunity to taste my way through some of the best Mediterranean cuisine and architecture, just like my family did 90 years ago.

This small town girl hits Europe on Sunday... the same day at Hurricane Irene is predicted to hit the eastern seaboard.  A new take on my Dad's 1983 Fraternity song, please, come on Irene, so I can say ciao to Amurrica and my Mother can keep her sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment